Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oh, we all knew it was coming

Tonight was, simply put, a frustrating one.

I was so excited to sew this evening that I could barely force myself to wait until "after" work (working from home makes the temptation somewhat difficult to manage). So as soon as 5 o'clock rolled around, I dashed out into the living room and started preparing to start and finish sewing my second pair of gauchos. The advantage of knowing what I was doing was remarkable and it was rewarding to see the seams line up all the way around (better cutting, pinning, or sewing? or all of the above?)...if only that was the whole story of the evening.


My first oops wasn't a big one (just happened to sew up the seam where the zipper goes)...but had I known that it was giving me a glimpse of the rest of the night...

Unfortunately I continued on to pin the yoke to the skirt with right side to wrong side...and didn't notice that little mistake until I sewed it. So, I set about ripping out the stitches (with scissors since my seam ripper seems to have grown legs) and breathed a huge sigh of relief as I pulled the last stitch free. Of course, it was at that point that I realized I had removed the wrong piece. Ahh! I decided to take some deep breaths and remember my discovery that mishaps are good and lead to humorous stories :)

I kept on trucking, ignoring that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to stop while I was ahead (ha!), and found it easier as more went smoothly. The zipper was, again, easy and I decided to ignore the pattern on the slipstitch portion and just deal with visible stitches. Since my pieces fit together correctly and I already knew how best to do it, the conversion to gauchos was quite simple. Of course, the hem still proved to be an onerous task, but I had a game plan so it went as quickly as possible.

At this point, you may be wondering if it was really as bad as I claim. My next frustration came when my bobbin thread ran out about half way around the second leg's hem...and I didn't notice until I thought I had finished. I redid that and began the final step of cutting off the excess. It was at that point that I had the "fight the tears while throwing the project across the room and swearing off sewing" moment. In my haste to be finished, I cut through one of the pant legs. Cursed sharp scissors.

Needless to say, I'm sitting in bed writing this in an attempt to enjoy the humor of the situation and calm myself before trying to sleep, with a completed pair of gauchos...plus a hole in one leg. But hey, the "distressed" look is trendy now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment