Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Is that success I see in my future??

If you can believe it, there are actually pieces sewn together! AND...it even resembles a skirt!!

I sat down tonight with my Get to Know Your Newhome book only to realize that the writers clearly assumed that you already know the basics (how to thread the machine, wind your bobbin, etc) if you have a fancy-schmancy sewing machine. So, after a long bout of trial and error, I finally triumphed and had a bobbin ready to go and a machine threaded and waiting. It was an exhilarating feeling until I remembered that I would have to do more battle with that convoluted pattern. Believe it or not, I decided to let loose, throw caution to the wind, and jump into it. The way I see it, those finicky parts that need to line up and look "right" are generally covered by your shirt (if you're a semi-sloven like myself and never, ever tuck in your shirt, that is) and the rest just hangs. Does it really need to be perfect? Of course, there is a huge potential that I will live to regret this decision, but for the moment I am putting my OCD in a box, locking it, and hiding the key (trust me, it is a remarkably small feat to hide something from myself).

The sewing itself went remarkably smoothly. I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that I flew once I lowered the presser foot - the fabric fed right through, the tension was perfect (I cheated and left it where my grandma last had it), and I barely had to think. I think I might be a little in love with this machine, and I've only spent about 30 minutes with it. Now, don't get me wrong...that old behemoth Singer that I grew up on will always hold a special place in my heart...but I think it's best to admire the old fashioned beauty from a little distance and spend my sewing time enjoying a machine where I can load the bobbin without needing Daniel to hold the machine while I fish around in the case trying to get the bobbin situated, the feeder works with no problem, and I can make sense of the adjustments. There's something to be said for fewer sewing-machine-related-hissy-fits in your "escape" time...

I wrapped up the night quite unsure as to whether or not what I had assembled was 100% correct...but it looks like it could turn into a skirt at some point (of course, at that point I will take on the project of turning it into gaucho pants). I have one seam that didn't line up once I sewed the yoke to the skirt, and I'm not at all sure how I managed that. I suppose I'll be in need of long T-shirts!! At that success, I was quite content and, with a smile, decided it was a positive note on which to end.

Okay, that was a lie. I actually lost my "throw caution to the wind" resolve when I got to the zipper portion. After reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the directions I decided I was in need of a lifeline. I grabbed the phone, started dialing Mom, and realized it was too late to call with sewing problems. Should I feel a little guilty that I was relieved?

While it might be too early to celebrate a first success and I'm clearly a bigger chicken than I initially would have believed, I can't help but be proud that I conquered the sewing machine!

1 comment: