Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sewing Double Update

I know it's been quite some time since we started this process, but we've only made a little headway. We let the form dry to be sure it was really cured before we started filling it with expanding spray insulation (smart, right? We have our moments).

This weekend we taped the two halves together and got to work. I read somewhere to spray the inside with cooking spray or coat it with vaseline so the foam doesn't stick to it. We tried cooking spray and vegetable oil (unfortunately, no vaseline on hand), but they just soaked into the plaster. We considered Crisco, but I can't for the life of me remember why that was vetoed. We moved on figuring we'd come up with something :)

We set the form upside down in a 5 gallon bucket, propped up along the sides with boards and started filling. We did all of one can first, but it didn't expand as much as we expected. Then we decided to do layers, let them dry and expand some, then add another so we weren't weighing anything down as they expanded. It worked.

After 3 cans of the regular Great Stuff and 2 of the window kind, the foam is set and we're just contemplating the removal. Our plan is to just wet down the plaster and wash it off.

From the outside it seems to have held fairly well, aside from the spreading at the "seams" right around the bustline. I'll just measure and shave off whatever is extra.

My plan now is to buy some ribbed knit or tricot (something stretchy at least) in a flesh tone to cover it with. No clashing purple for my dressform :)

No comments:

Post a Comment