Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Double, Double, Toil, and Trouble

Halloween is right around the corner, so I'm starting on costumes. Last year we had a last minute scramble to come up with something fun for the Halloween dance and decided to plan this year's that night also. So while dancing around Regent Ballroom as Erik and Christine from Phantom of the Opera...

(Daniel had the mask and everything, but had to take it off so
he could navigate the traveling dances)

...we were deciding that this year we would go as Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) and The Lady in Green (Cyd Charisse) from Singin' in the Rain.




Singin' in the Rain is probably my absolute all-time favorite movie, and the Broadway Melody dream sequence is one of my favorite scenes. The music is fun, the costumes are great, and the cheesy over-acting makes me smile. Daniel hates watching this movie with me because I recite every line and sing along with every song...but it just makes me happy. I can think of nothing better than to spend a fun night dancing as "them." I only hope we do their memories justice.

Daniel's costume is pretty easy - he owns khaki pants, I've finished all but the buttons on a bright yellow vest for him, I'm ready to make the pink tie, and he'll have to make due with a white shirt because I'm not making him a yellow/white striped shirt for one-time use.

My costume will be my very first draping project. I'm just using some Kona Cotton so I don't have to worry about funny stretching draping with knits, but I still don't really know what I'm doing. And, as I'm not known internationally for my fabulous gams, I'll be lending a little more coverage to the dress :) I need to buy some pretty sequined spangles to adorn the dress with (and make a matching choker), and still need a zipper....but I'm ready to start planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment