Thursday, August 5, 2010

My New Toy

Yes, I have been neglecting you. No, it's not your fault.

Two weeks ago today was a beautiful day. That glorious UPS man that I have come to adore brought me yet another life-altering package: my new serger. Who knew it could get better than shoes and fabric??


Yes, friends. I bought a new Janome MyLock634D and have been consumed with it: reading the book (then re-reading because I was, of course, too excited to retain anything), experimenting, and making wonderful seams!! My only complaint at this point is a sore back from switching back and forth between my sewing machine and the serger (I lack the ability to do all sewing in one clump, then all serging and just go back and forth the whole time).



Threading is difficult, but definitely doable and no worse than the Berninas I sat with (yes, it came threaded, but I managed to unwittingly pull the threads out while trying to tie them to the spools - very bright, I know). I made Daniel check my threading before I would try using it and only had one thing twisted my first try.

It's super easy to switch back and forth between a standard overlock and a rolled hem; you just have to remember all the steps. :)

All in all, I'm pretty much in love. *sigh*

I've been using it everywhere I can think to - I even did rolled hems on my fabrics before prewashing them. Love it. Love it. Love it!


Thanks to my obsession with my new little toy, I've been getting much accomplished. Unfortunately, thanks to my keen ability to lose anything and everything (read: sewing needles), I have no finished products to share with you right now. Three are waiting for that needle to finish up loose threads, tacking zippers, etc and some others are waiting for notions. I'll be buying some needles this afternoon, but I'm holding off on the rest since Hancock is having a 50% sale next weekend on all notions. ...I also wouldn't mind a heat index under 110 degrees F to go outside and take pictures. You'll see them soon though! Promise!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the boxes to mark as interesting, funny or cool. I was not sure if I should mark funny or interesting since I found it to be both.
    How does Daniel feel about your "love" for your new serger:) You forgetful, or lose things? Never:)
    As always, I am interested in hearing about your adventures in sewing.
    I'm proud of you!!! Can't wait to see your next finished products.

    ReplyDelete